Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The 99 Things Meme

Picked up (and copy-pasted) from Geetha Krishnan.

Things you’ve already done: bold = 30 (actually 29.5)
Things you want to do: italicize = 35 
Things you haven’t done and don’t want to - leave in plain font = 34

1. Started your own blog. (And stopped. And started again) 
2. Slept under the stars. (The last time I did that, I was in Pokhara, Nepal)
3. Played in a band. 
4. Visited Hawaii. (One day, when I will have enough money . . .)
5. Watched a meteor shower. (Do it every year, weather and office permitting — the Leonids and the Geminids)
6. Given more than you can afford to charity. (How does one start a charity for oneself?)
7. Been to Disneyland/world. 
8. Climbed a mountain. (Everyday. I stay in a hilly place. Ok, Ok, but quite a few.)
9. Held a praying mantis. (Once. I was in school then.) 
10. Sang a solo.
11. Bungee jumped. (Only when they get cords that will not snap with my weight)
12. Visited Paris. (Does an hour at the airport, on the runway, count?)
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch.
15. Adopted a child. (I leave them alone. They leave me alone.)
16. Had food poisoning. (Details here)
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty. (Why? But would like to try it. . . One day, when I have enough money . . .)
18. Grown your own vegetables. (potatoes, spinach, fenugreek, brinjals, tomatoes . . . also some fruits and herbs  a very long ago)
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
20. Slept on an overnight train. (Often. Very common in India. The last time was when I visited Bandhavgarh, Kanha, and Pachmarhi)
21. Had a pillow fight. 
22. Hitch hiked
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill. (Most office leave falls in this category)
24. Built a snow fort. (In this part of the world?)
25. Held a lamb.
26. Gone skinny dipping. (Too much skin, never enough water. Also, can't give people nightmares)
27. Run a marathon. (Ha, ha, ha . . . I prefer short sprints — regularly do the 20-meter dash when a train is pulling away)
28. Ridden a gondola in Venice. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
29. Seen a total eclipse. 
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset.
31. Hit a home run. (I'm Indian — have cleared the boundary rope quite a few times) 
32. Been on a cruise. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors. (I might have considered that if them lazy buggers had made enough money for me to lead an easy life.)
35. Seen an Amish community. 
36. Taught yourself a new language. (Tried French when I joined college. Promptly forgot it all as soon as I could. Want to learn again.) 
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
39. Gone rock climbing. (My motto: Conserve all energy.)
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David in person. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
41. Sung Karaoke. 
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
43. Bought a stranger a meal in a restaurant. 
44. Visited Africa. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight. (Of course)
46. Been transported in an ambulance. (Yes, but not as the patient.) 
47. Had your portrait painted.
48. Gone deep sea fishing. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
49. Seen the Sistine chapel in person. (One day, when I have enough money . . .) 
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. (Does a view from a circling plane count?)
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkelling. 
52. Kissed in the rain. [Nobody loves me :( ]
53. Played in the mud. 
54. Gone to a drive-in theater. 
55. Been in a movie.
56. Visited the Great Wall of China. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
57. Started a business.
58. Taken a martial arts class 
59. Visited Russia. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
60. Served at a soup kitchen. 
61. Sold Girl Scout cookies. 
62. Gone whale watching. 
63. Gotten flowers for no reason. 
64. Donated blood. (Quite a few times)
65. Gone sky diving. 
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp. 
67. Bounced a check. 
68. Flown in a helicopter. (One day, when I have enough money . . .) 
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy. 
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
71. Eaten Caviar. 
72. Pieced a quilt. 
73. Stood in Times Square. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
74. Toured the Everglades. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
75. Been fired from a job.
76. Seen the Changing of the Guard in London. 
77. Broken a bone. (Yeah (sometimes the world can be too much of a burden to shoulder), my right clavicle (a.k.a. collar bone). When I was a kid.) 
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle. (Many times. Only pillion though.)
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person. (Yep. Wasn't impressed though. The Sahayadris are so much better. Check this. And compare with this.)
80. Published a book. (I am assuming college textbooks and workbooks can be counted.) 
81. Visited the Vatican. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
82. Bought a brand new car. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
83. Walked in Jerusalem. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
84. Had your picture in the newspaper. (Thrice)
85. Read the entire Bible. (Forgot most of it. Promptly.)
86. Visited the White House. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating. (Only the second part of that) 
88. Had chickenpox. 
89. Saved someone’s life. (Twice. Had help.)
90. Sat on a jury. 
91. Met someone famous. (Do novelists, poets, and bloggers count?)
92. Joined a book club. 
93. Lost a loved one. 
94. Had a baby. (I stay away from them. They stay away from me.) 
95. Seen the Alamo in person. (One day, when I have enough money . . .)
96. Swum in the Great Salt Lake. 
97. Been involved in a law suit.
98. Owned a cell phone. (Hello?)
99. Been stung by a bee. (Quite a few times, actually. The bees paid for it — they all died, them stupid suicide stingers.)

------
A similar list here.
Some earlier memes:


No comments: