Monday, October 31, 2005

Come, I Am Your Lucky Chance Dance

[. . .]
She laughs, “If I’d been a woman, I’d have had a kotha of my own! I wanted to be a courtesan,” she adds ironically, “it’s such a respectable job.” Atharva Nair, Laxmi’s friend and assistant at Dai, laughs loudly. “Tell her the truth,” he gurgles. “You wanted to lure men!” Laxmi is unabashed. “He’s a bad boy, but it’s true,” she drawls. “I love to play with men. I joined to see why men frequent dance bars. I would pretend to love them, but I’d think, ‘Bastards. You leave your wife at home and come here to satisfy your whims!’ Luckily for me, I made good money.”
[. . .]
The last of Sonia Falerio's series on the lives of Mumbai's dance bar girls is the story of the hijra Laxminarayan Tripathi -- a Bharatanatyam dancer, owner of nine dance schools and now a social activist "embodies all the schisms in the world of the dance bar: the ignominy and the freedom, the pride and the pathos."

Do read the second part of the article, the interview with Laxminarayan Tripathi about innards of the hijra community -- it'll give you some understanding about the community's culture and way of life.

Read the complete article: Come, I Am Your Lucky Chance Dance.

Read the earlier stories in the series: here, here, here, here, and here.

No comments: